Congratulations. you have made the decision to start your rewarding career officiating Football. Now what?
First, you need to get yourself plugged into OCFOA’s outstanding training program for first-year officials. Our First-year training program is part of Paul Caldera’s Instructional program and run by Bob Biggio and Kyle Cason.
Kyle and Bob have been officiating for over 25 years each and bring with them a wealth of knowledge and experience. They will walk you thru the process of learning to officiate Tackle football.
OCFOA will work hard to make your first-year experience a positive and rewarding one. There some things you have to do and purchase to get yourself ready.
- Finalize your registration process – Go to the Registration page and complete all of the required documents in the online registration packet. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to Paul Caldera, Troy Leonard or even Bob Biggio and they can assist you.
- Get insurance. This is critical. If you officiate other sports, you may already have NFHS or NASO insurance. If you only officiate football, we can obtain officiating insurance through NFHS for a nominal fee. Feel free to contact us so we can assist you in selecting the best option for you.
- You should expect to receive a welcome packet via email mail as soon as you register. It will contain information a list of items you will need along with information regarding the purchase of your uniform and equipment at a discounted rate and Again feel free to reach out to Andy if you have any questions.
- Once you receive your welcome packet and have registered, the instructional team led by Andy will reach out to you and start your training process. Off-season training is critical to your initial success. If you take advantage of the training opportunities that are offered, you will be ready to competently officiate by the opening week of the season.
- Andys on-field training with clinics, officiating scrimmages and bringing you out to passing tournaments.
- Mark Andrews will send you information regarding the required instructional training held on and off the field via email.
- You should also expect to receive email and web posts informing you of things to come and training opportunities
- You will then be ready for your first game. You will be assigned to a veteran referee who will assist in mentoring you thru your first game. The game will either be a freshman or Junior Varsity game where you can get the feel for the speed of the game and a place to ask lots of questions.
I am excited for you. Officiating is rewarding, challenging and fun. I look forward to seeing you on the field. May the ball always bounce in your favor.